Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Strawberries!


“Do you remember the Shire, Mr. Frodo? It'll be spring soon. And the orchards will be in blossom. And the birds will be nesting in the hazel thicket. And they'll be sowing the summer barley in the lower fields... and eating the first of the strawberries with cream. Do you remember the taste of strawberries?” 
- Sam Gamgee, The Lord of the Rings


Hello my dear friends and happy Hump Day!  Oh the quote above stirred up some amazing memories of long nights spent with Frodo and Sam travelling through Middle Earth.  Every summer I pull out the DVDs and re-watch this amazing trilogy.  Looks like I'll be doing it again soon... I've got an itch to scratch.

Today it's a rainy one in the hood again but this time we got the works together with thunder and lightning. Actually we've got it all.  The sun, the thunder, the lightning and the rain.  One moment is sunny, one moment it thunders and then it pours before the sun comes out again.  Mother Nature cannot make up her mind but whatever comes our way next, the garden is sure to love it.

Speaking of the garden, the long awaited time has arrived and the strawberries are beginning to ripen. Every morning I come out and there are presents for me in the strawberry patch and every day there is more and more.  And these presents are sweet, oh so sweet. Thanks to the weather we've been having, the warmth and the sun, the strawberries are extra sweet this year.

This is a third year I'm growing strawberries and it's a first year that they've been really sweet.  The past couple of years the spring has been less than ideal and I guess the lack of sun and warmth manifested itself in lack of sweetness in the fruit.  I'm glad we finally caught a break.

And what comes after the strawberries?  Juneberries! 

Namaste


5 comments:

  1. A most lovely post, I love strawberries and your writing was a joy to read.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely strawberries! We're starting a strawberry patch next year....... actually, more like strawberry gutters, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the post, love the quote...for I also love Middle Earth :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love me some strawberries especially with sour cream and bit of sugar.

    ReplyDelete